HomeAboutMailing ListList Chatter /0/0 3.239.192.241

2021-02-15 by: joel@joelandstephanies.com
From: joel@joelandstephanies.com
------------------------------------------------------
I lived in China one semester during university, and I totally agree with C=
had regarding the food=2E It was really good=2E Not anything like 'Chinese'=
 food one typically finds in the US=2E

However, you can find authentic Chinese food stateside if you know where t=
o look=2E Closest I found to Chattanooga was a Chinese food court in Atlant=
a just southeast of the DeKalb Peachtree Airport=2E I forget the exact name=
 of the place, but there was a Chinese grocery store near a Chinese cultura=
l center, and in the interior of a small strip mall there was a food court,=
 with maybe 15 or so food vendors, and only about half of them had any menu=
 translation into English=2E=20

Connection to GNU/Linux: indirect history:
My Atlanta years were my first exposure to Mac's flavor of BSD, as Apple w=
asn't nearly so popular then, and in Georgia Tech's computer labs the Dell =
PCs always had lines of students waiting to use them, and hardly anyone was=
 on the OS X machines=2E I tried one, discovered the Terminal, and realized=
 nearly all the bash commands I knew from my first Linux server account (ke=
pler=2Ecovenant=2Eedu) were immediately applicable=2E

Le 15 f=C3=A9vrier 2021 07:30:01 GMT+01:00, chugalug@chugalug=2Eorg a =C3=
=A9crit=C2=A0:
>2021-02-15 chugalug Digest: 2 messages
>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>--------------
>From: DaWorm
>Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 13:40:07 +0000 (UTC)
>Subject;Re: [chugalug] Working in Mainland China
>Thank you, Chad, that's an amazingly helpful set of responses!
>I still don't know if I will be offered this job or if I will accept it i=
f
>offered=2E  But knowing these things helps me out tremendously when it co=
mes
>time to make my decision=2E
>Unfortunately, I would be in what I guess is the north, in Qingdao
>(Tsingtao, where the beer is from), so I don't guess I'd be able to visit
>if we're both there at the same time (and Covid has passed, of course)=2E
>Thank you!
>  Jeff
>On Thu, Feb 11, 2021, 11:00 PM Chad Smith  wrote:
>> One more thought - buy and install the VPN on your devices BEFORE you c=
ome
>> here=2E
>> You can get ISPs with VPN built-in, but it's not secure VPN=2E  As in, =
it
>> doesn't protect you from big brudda looking at what you are doing=2E  I=
t
>> does, however, open up *some* of the normal non-firewalled internet to
>> you=2E
>> A lot of VPNs won't work here=2E  I've used ExpressVPN for years, and i=
t's
>> been the most reliable for me=2E  If you want to sign up for an account=
, I
>> can send you a link to get a free month=2E  (Full disclosure, signing u=
p with
>> that link will give me a free month as well=2E)
>> In fact, (with risk of violating some forgotten or unspoken Chugalug
>> rule), here is my referral link=2E
>> https://www=2Eexpressrefer=2Ecom/refer-friend?referrer_id=3D22048642&ut=
m_campaign=3Dreferrals&utm_medium=3Dcopy_link&utm_source=3Dreferral_dashboa=
rd
>> probably don't need all those tracking bits=2E=2E=2E=2E
>> https://www=2Eexpressrefer=2Ecom/refer-friend?referrer_id=3D22048642
>> anyway, welcome to China!
>> A few more tips=2E=2E=2E=2E
>> Bring deodorant, it's difficult to find here, and expensive when you fi=
nd
>> it=2E  The reason being - and this is true - Chinese people's sweat doe=
sn't
>> stink=2E  Or, at least 97% of ethnically Chinese people's sweat doesn't
>> attract the bacteria that eats most people's sweat and causes the BO
>> odor=2E=2E=2E so deodorantisn't necessary for over 1=2E3 billion people=
 here=2E
>> Set up an account on BaoPals or TBfocus=2E  TaoBao is China's answer to
>> Amazon and eBay and Walmart-online combined, and it's only available in
>> Chinese=2E   You will be told, constantly, to "Just order it from Taoba=
o!"
>> Stock up on pocket tissues, hand santizer, and wet-wipes, because most
>> bathrooms don't have TP or soap or paper towels=2E  You can buy those h=
ere,
>> though=2E  Just always have them on you, (even on your first trip here =
>> on the plane, have them in your pocket)=2E
>> Also, buy flip-flops / sandals / houseshoes, and take your shoes off wh=
en
>> you enter anyone's home=2E  (The sandals are for your own home / hotel=
=2E)  One
>> trip to a public restroom and you'll know why taking off your shoes in
>> homes is not just a tradition=2E
e been
>> told=2E
>> Most cities' public transportation is great, subways have English
>> accountments (in my experience in South China), Buses do not=2E
>> Everything shuts down for Chinese New Year=2E  Well, not so much this y=
ear
>> because the government told everyone to not travel - but typically, you
>> will want to stock up on at least a week, if not two weeks, of supplies
>> (food, household items, consumables, etc=2E) prior to the shut-down dat=
e=2E
>> Last year the shutdown bled into COVID, so I was very grateful to have
>> supplies ahead of time=2E  This year, the shutdown is meant to be a cou=
ple of
>> days=2E (It just started last night, so we'll see=2E)
>> You need face masks=2E  COVID is pretty much contained here, especially=
 in
>> the south, where I am=2E  But wearing a mask is required to enter many
>> places, and to use public transportation, including taxis and Didis=2E
>> You will be asked by perfect strangers to teach their kids English=2E  =
It
>> pays typically 250 RMB per hour=2E
>> Your temperature will be taken=2E  Your passport will be photographed=
=2E  Your
>> movements will be recorded by your phone - regardless of what brand pho=
ne
>> it is, what SIM card you use, or what VPN you use=2E  Because to track =
and
>> prevent COVID - you will be required to add an app to your phone to tra=
ck
>> your movement=2E  You are coming to China=2E  You are agreeing to this =
by
>> coming here=2E
>> Memorize your new phone number, your passport number, and your address=
=2E
>> Learn how to say wherever you are saying in Mandarin=2E
>> There is no such thing as a spoken language called "Chinese"=2E  There =
are
>> dozens of spoken Chinese languages (plural)=2E  The most common and mos=
t
>> widespread (and official language of China) is Mandarin=2E  The second =
most
>> often used is Cantonese=2E  But nearly every region has its own traditi=
onal
>> language, as many local villages / hometowns have their own language as
>> well=2E  So most people are multilingual, even though they only "speak
>> Chinese"=2E  There is one unified written language - called simplified
>> Chinese=2E  Traditional Chinese is mostly used outside of mainland Chin=
a=2E
>> (HK, Macau, Taiwan, etc=2E)   To function in Mainland China, you will w=
ant to
>> focus on Mandarin and Simplified Chinese=2E  (Most mainland Chinese peo=
ple
>> can't read traditional Chinese beyond a few characters=2E)
>> The emergency number is 119
>> BE CAREFUL CROSSING THE STREET!  Look both ways, multiple times, and mo=
ve
>> it when you cross=2E  You are playing real life frogger every time=2E
>> Crosswalk or no=2E
>> Get used to motorcycles on the sidewalks with you at all times=2E
>> You will see people spitting everywhere, and children will be using the
>> bathroom just like=2E=2E=2E anywhere=2E
 extra
>> 15%=2E  And bring a proper first aid kit=2E  I still don't know where t=
o buy
>> those here=2E
>> Find an English speaking hospital wherever you are going=2E  And be pre=
pared
>> to pay *Up Front* for your expenses, unless you have amazing health
>> insurance=2E  Also, hospitals do not provide meals, even if you are the=
re for
>> weeks=2E
>> Enroll here:  https://step=2Estate=2Egov/step/
>> Just do it=2E
>> Hope that helps=2E
>> *- Chad W=2E Smith*
>> On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 11:17 AM Chad Smith  wrote:
>>> Ooops, I skipped #4=2E
>>>
>>> 4=2E Is it better to get a local SIM for my phone, or use my carrier's
>>> international plan?  Or should I invest in a local carrier hotspot and=
 only
>>> connect my phone via WiFi (something I've done in Taiwan)?
>>>
>>> Your carrier's international plan will be a lot more expensive=2E I ha=
ve a
>>> local SIM here, and it costs me about 90 RMB per month for unlimited t=
alk,
>>> text, and data on a 4G network=2E  (90 RMB is less than $14 USD=2E)
>>>
>>> That did require setting up an account that is tied to my passport, an=
d I
>>> needed a local friend's help to make that happen=2E
>>>
>>> There are pay-as-you-go style cards available to foreigners, but I've
>>> never used them and can't speak for their expense or to their function=
ality=2E
>>>> Yes you need it=2E  If you want to use Google, YouTube, Facebook, Twi=
tter,
>>>> Gmail, Netflix, Pandora, or any "normal" internet things=2E  You need=
 a VPN=2E
>>>> 2=2E Will I be able to access my Gmail account for personal email?  I=
f not
>>>> directly or via VPN, any other workarounds?
>>>> You need a VPN=2E  Full stop=2E
>>>> 3=2E How hard will it be to access things like online billpay to keep=
 my
>>>> bills at home up to date while away (assuming my wife is travelling w=
ith
>>>> me)?
>>>> You need a VPN=2E
>>>> 4=2E Is it better to get a local SIM for my phone, or use my carrier'=
s
>>>> international plan?  Or should I invest in a local carrier hotspot an=
d only
>>>> connect my phone via WiFi (something I've done in Taiwan)?
>>>> 5=2E As I understand it, WeChat Pay is pretty much essential=2E  It c=
an be
>>>> linked to a US credit card now (didn't used to be able to), but does =
anyone
>>>> have any caveats or gotchas when doing this?  Foreign transaction fee=
s of
>>>> 2% or so are typical as I understand it, but I should be able to expe=
nse
>>>> those=2E
>>>> I've never been able to link WeChat Pay to any American accounts=2E  =
I had
>>>> to use a Chinese account=2E  If you aren't planning on living here fu=
ll time,
>>>> you can use a friend's account if they will let you=2E  (Each Chinese=
 bank
>>>> account can be linked to up to 5 different WeChat accounts=2E)
>>>> 6=2E As I understand it, Google Translate is allowed to operate there
>>>> (unlike search or maps), anyone have any experience using it?
>>>> I use it almost daily=2E  But I have a VPN=2E  That said, you can dow=
nload
>>>> the languages offline (English and Chinese, specifically) so that you=
 can
>>>> use it even without a VPN=2E  That said, some features will be limite=
d (Like,
>>>> oddly, translating images stored on your phone, while live camera-bas=
ed
>>>> translation is functional=2E)
>>>>
>>>> Hope that helps!  And Ni Hao, new neighbor!
>>>> *- Chad W=2E Smith*
>>>> On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 9:35 PM DaWorm  wrote:
>>>>> Not exactly *nix related, but maybe some of you can help=2E
>>>>>
>>>>> Does anyone have any experience working in mainland China?  I'm bein=
g
>>>>> considered for a position that would involve spending time in Qingda=
o (home
>>>>> of Tsingtao beer), usually in 3 to 6 week chunks a few times a year,=
 and I
>>>>> have a few questions=2E  So if you have some experience, I'd appreci=
ate it=2E
>>>>>
>>>>> 1=2E Do I need a VPN plan to get by the Great Firewall, or is that a
>>>>> "nice to have" item?
>>>>>
>>>>> 2=2E Will I be able to access my Gmail account for personal email?  =
If
>>>>> not directly or via VPN, any other workarounds?
>>>>>
>>>>> 3=2E How hard will it be to access things like online billpay to kee=
p my
>>>>> bills at home up to date while away (assuming my wife is travelling =
with
>>>>> me)?
>>>>>
>>>>> 4=2E Is it better to get a local SIM for my phone, or use my carrier=
's
>>>>> international plan?  Or should I invest in a local carrier hotspot a=
nd only
>>>>> connect my phone via WiFi (something I've done in Taiwan)?
>>>>>
>>>>> 5=2E As I understand it, WeChat Pay is pretty much essential=2E  It =
can be
>>>>> linked to a US credit card now (didn't used to be able to), but does=
 anyone
>>>>> have any caveats or gotchas when doing this?  Foreign transaction fe=
es of
>>>>> 2% or so are typical as I understand it, but I should be able to exp=
ense
>>>>> those=2E
>>>>>
>>>>> 6=2E As I understand it, Google Translate is allowed to operate ther=
e
>>>>> (unlike search or maps), anyone have any experience using it?
>>>>>
>>>>> My only experience in the AP area was a week in Taiwan, but that's a
>>>>> whole different animal than the mainland=2E  Any advice from someone=
 who has
>>>>> been there, done that would be appreciated=2E  Feel free to move to =
direct
>>>>> email if this isn't appropriate here=2E
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>>   Jeff=2E
>>>>>
>>>>> P=2ES=2E I already know I can't play Pokemon Go there=2E  Bummer=2E
>>>>>
>--------------
>From: "Mike (meuon) Harrison"
>Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 01:10:07 +0000 (UTC)
>Subject;Re: [chugalug] Working in Mainland China
>DaWorm:
>> to visit if we're both=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BDthere at the same time (and Cov=
id has passed, of course)=2E
>If the two of you are within mainland China and touch base in any=20
>way we should count it as a Chugalug meetup in Mainland China=2E ;)
>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>[chugalug] chugalug@chugalug=2Eorg Digested=2E
>This is Alpha Code: It worked for the dev=2E Once, maybe twice=2E
>Send email to mike@geeklabs=2Ecom if you need to rant=2E
>Your Fortune:
>Is there life before breakfast?

--=20
Envoy=C3=A9 de mon appareil Android avec Courriel K-9 Mail=2E Veuillez exc=
user ma bri=C3=A8vet=C3=A9=2E

=============================================================== From: DaWorm ------------------------------------------------------ While not exactly the same, I did spend a bit over a week in Taiwan a few years back, and the food was almost always excellent. Jeff ta f u ll as =A9crit : if es t ome t 's I with ampaign=3Dreferrals&utm_medium=3Dcopy_link&utm_source=3Dreferral_dashboard ind n't n !" re, like hen One not o s.) eChat been ar u s . le of in t Your one nd ack . re ost nal s . nt to le ove e C. ive l or extra uy ared e for d only e a talk, nd I nality. nice ter, a VPN. not my with nd only be anyone es of ense had l time, bank ad u can (Like, sed ng ao (home , and I te it. f my with s and only be s anyone ees of pense a who has irect id has passed, of course). ser ma