[Chugalug] FYI:Linux and Software Defined Radio

Alex Smith (K4RNT) shadowhunter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 17:33:08 UTC 2014

That would be awesome to set up as a wideband receiver. I'd probably just
be tuning into HF to see how much traffic I can hear, and then also monitor
VHF during severe weather to support SKYWARN and ARES operations.

My main interest in ham radio is emergency communications and serving the
public. When I lived in Rutherford County, I was active with both ARES and
SKYWARN for middle Tennessee. I also provided communications manpower at
the American Red Cross comm center in Murfreesboro during the April 7, 2006
tornado outbreak that crippled the city of Gallatin. I was a voice relay
between east Tennessee counties and the NWS office in Nashville, when the
repeater network lost a link between parts of the state. It was grueling,
but I enjoyed the time, and I know my work saved lives in the process.

Now that the cost of the hardware has dropped so much, and more software
has become available, I think I'd like to get into this scene, and it's
aweesome to see this kind of interest from a computer users group. :)

73 de K4RNT

episode "The Drumhead"
- Alex Smith