[Chugalug] penetrate me!

Ed King chevyiinova at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 27 04:58:40 UTC 2014

Our "network administrator" at the main office quit over a year ago and a replacement was never hired.
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/christopher-silver/7/6a8/341

Our "network administrator" at our "NOC" quit over a year ago and never got replaced.
www.linkedin.com/in/mlaman

Our "phone system guy" quit a year ago, a replacement was hired, but I've seen him, like, once.  When the phone/fax systems goes down, they call ME.
http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=49461976

So guess what?  I and one of the other programmers on my team inherited all these extra support duties (without a single f'ing penny of a pay raise, mind you).

We inherited hardware and software that hasn't been updated in years (insert career-damaging-but-painfully-true my-boss-is-a-cheap-bastard-and-doesn't-spend-money-on-upgrades comment here)

We know basic firewall, iptables, am mindful of sql injection, can install/run/monitor virus scanners etc, but we are not security experts nor do we play one on t.v.

If this situation wasn't stressful enough, it has now come to a boil as a potential (big!) client "demands" proof of pen testing before they will let us host their data.    At this point I'm spread way to thin and told my boss today that he needs to crack open that wallet and hire an outside pen tester.    Anyone on the list "qualified" to do it?    Willing to work for peanuts?

What defines a qualified pen tester?  I see what appears to be "free" software I could download and run myself, if I was inclined to take on more responsibility w/o pay.    I suppose this free software would be a "good start" but is a pen test done by an "internal" employee good enough for the client, I doubt it.