[Chugalug] To fellow Hams: inexpensive 10m rigs

Bret McHone dbmchone at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 14:49:22 UTC 2014

Im just going to save up for the hamfest in june up here that is put on by
RACK (www.w4bbb.org) and try to get a yaesu ft-857d/ft-897d. Ive been told
its not terribly uncommon to see good ones go for about $500-600. Or maybe
one of the equivalent icoms or a kenwood. Granted, I want more than just
10m. Though when I showed my wife the windom antenna I was looking at she
laughed at me when she realized it was 133ft long...

I also found out that my work actually has a kenwood ts2000 ham radio
station for disaster situations. Go figure... im in "information systems"
and we didnt even know the thing existed. All the area hospitals have them
and are building a network of winlink systems for expendient transfer of
complex communications. Its new to me so I have to read up on it.

-B