[Chugalug] What are the $%& boxes waiting for? :(

Billy flushy at flushy.net
Tue Mar 25 14:17:17 UTC 2014

Do your disk stats correlate to your wait states?

CPU wait pretty much means waiting on IO. Specially, the process or thread is inside a kernel function that is in turn waiting on data. It's normally preempt-able, but in some cases it's not -- or it at least doesn't act like it: due to race conditions or dependent threads needing the data that the other thread is waiting on.

Additionally, your loadaverge should be high if your CPUs are in wait state a lot.

Sent from my iPhone