[Chugalug] So what is the state of making your own circuit boards?

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Fri Mar 21 19:22:58 UTC 2014

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 14:55:52 -0400
Rod <rod-lists at epbfi.com> wrote:
> I'll look into it and thanx.
> I wonder what original maker used. From what I gathered he did a lot
> on linux.

Figure out how to generate Eagle files (and many open source hardware
projects include 'em), if I remember right that's the lingua franca for
everyone who doesn't do the "here's some free software that you can use
to order from us" thing, and is what you'll wnat for >2 layer boards.

Then just search for "Eagle file circuit board" and pick a vendor.
There are tons.

I've got an acquaintance who was doing his own with the "print on a
laser printer, iron that on to a board as a resist layer", and... yeah.
Setting up to do high quality fine trace circuit boards is a capital
intensive process. The people I know who are making inroads into
actually doing their own are using small CNC routers (Dremel and some
steppers) and cutting away the copper that way...). But that's nothing
compared to what a real vendor will give you.