[Chugalug] FYI:Linux and Software Defined Radio

Rod rod-lists at epbfi.com
Sun Mar 16 19:05:24 UTC 2014

Been during research lately into linux and ham radio support.
There have been more than few good linux distros with a ham focus over the
years.
At least two puppies, a few ubuntu respins, etc.

Just found Kali Linux which seems to be picking were up Backtrack Linux
left off.
Kali Linux has an SDR metapackage that is worth looking into.
It includes their own fork of Debian's gnuradio which updates to the
latests sources. As well as GQRX which support several USB SDR dongles.
Including a $20 TV dongle that can be used as a broad spectrum scanner
that can be used for all kinds of cool stuff.
http://www.rtl-sdr.com/about-rtl-sdr/

While Kali Linux should be in any serious linux users toolkit, I'm not
sure if a distro that runs as root by default is the best choice for some
of my fellow hams. Especially the many who are xp refugees mourning the
loss of their dead os. Though it has some good ideas for the start of a
new HAM Shack OS.

http://docs.kali.org/