[Chugalug] btrfs experiences?

Joseph Simoneau joseph.simoneau at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 02:40:07 UTC 2014

Samba isn't a requirement... no windows boxes on the radar except
single-purpose VMs (no real storage) and things that are supposed to break.
Everything I actually need is relatively filesystem agnostic (NFS, DNLA,
rsync).

ZFS is on my radar, but the more mdadm-like management of btrfs is what's
winning me over, at least in theory. Party of the project is archiving DVDs
and blu-rays, and I'd rather not have to grow the array by waiting for
disks to die or stripping in new vdevs.

I don't think performance is a huge concern, the throughout I'm getting in
all-virtual tests is plenty for a couple HD streams, and incremental
backups can take all night for all I care. VM storage is probably going to
be handled separately, and that's the more performance-intensive task.