[Chugalug] Linux VM Host Choices

Joseph Simoneau joseph.simoneau at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 23:24:34 UTC 2014

I've just noticed weird behaviors when you're actually using virtual
networks, especially in routed mode.

It almost seems like there's a firewall that I can't find a way to control
and that limits access to VMs, seemingly regardless of any virtual routers
you've set up.

It mostly came up when I was building a small virtual NAS to test btrfs...
when the VM was on a bridged adapter or host only, all was well. When I did
it any other way, scanning and connecting (from the host) behaved as if
there was something blocking NFS and iSCSI, but not ssh, etc., even with
iptables off, regardless of virtual routers.

I also could just have been missing something, but it wound up a lot more
of a pain than doing the same thing with a physical L2/3 switch, which
doesn't seem ideal.

-js