[Chugalug] OT: Solar Panels

Joe Freeman joe at netbyjoe.com
Fri Mar 14 15:58:08 UTC 2014

a little more than 10 years ago, we looked hard at putting three flywheel
generators in at the CenturyTel data center. The ones we looked at would
have been buried in the ground, but they were huge and took like a week to
spin up, but would have given us enough backup power to run the dc for
several days without running the NG or diesel gensets. I don't remember why
we didn't do it for sure, but it was probably cost.

It was right after a crispy fried squirrel took out both "redundant" power
feeds coming into the building. We found out that while we had 'redundant
entrance facilities' the power company was feeding both sides to us from
the same transformer a couple of streets over. Squirrel vs transformer = no
power to the dc. Fortunately we had three gensets on the building (two
diesel + 1 NG).

You have to understand, of course, that that DC was in a small town in
extreme northern Louisiana. Think minutes from Arkansas. Not much larger
than Apison. Not a lot of choice when it comes to power providers.