[Chugalug] OT bugs and code quality

Ryan Bales thinkt4nk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 14:45:35 UTC 2014

tl;dr: A lot of code quality issues are due to carelessness.  If you can
help your developers rediscover their love for their craft, they'll start
caring about their work again.

I've found that fostering a culture of code worship goes a long way toward
maintaining code quality.  If you're hiring the right people, you're hiring
people who started writing code because they enjoyed it at some level.
 Sometimes, though, functional requirements, user stories, morning
stand-up's, and all of the other devices we've created to direct a
developer's passion toward serving business goals, all help to dispel the
notion that our work is a labor of love.

Everyone knows that fatigued teams make more mistakes.  We often, simply
chalk this up to too much work, taxed minds.  I think, though, that it has
more to do with shifts in perceptions of work as a joyful, satisfying
labor, to work as mere toil.  I don't know about you, but when I don't care
about what I'm doing, I don't pay attention.

If you regularly spend time with your team, just worshiping code, admiring
expressive, beautiful code, and improving faulty or complicated code, I
think you'll find that your team's code quality will improve.  Sometimes
I'll review one of our team member's code, other times we'll review some
rockstar's code on github.  We'll even look at code in different languages,
as long as everyone is generally familiar with the paradigm (e.g. I
wouldn't just jump into some Haskell with a PHP team).

Disclaimer: I've found this works when you have at least one or two
developers who enjoy what they do and are willing to participate.  If you
do, the rest of the team will begin to participate over time.  This, of
course, assumes that you've done a decent job of hiring your dev team.
 Having had some success with this in the past, I attempted this with a
team that I adopted in a new position.  The developers were so burned-out
and disgruntled, that I had little success with this approach.

So much of our success is dependent upon cultivating a healthy, happy
culture.

Ryan Bales
http://twitter.com/#!/thinkt4nk
https://github.com/thinkt4nk