[Chugalug] Linux VM Host Choices

Joseph Simoneau joseph.simoneau at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 01:35:19 UTC 2014

My homelab is currently on KVM, and it's alright. Compared to VMware
workstation, the network setup is weirder and possibly limiting.

If I were starting over today, I'd try ESXi (managed with workstation) and
xen. I wouldn't rebuild with KVM because it forces some choices that seem
suboptimal once things get big or odd.

The big plus with KVM and Xen, as I see it, is that you can use Ceph or
something like it for the datastore instead of just direct disks or a
NAS/SAN that adds other complexities.

-js