[Chugalug] Old code never dies..

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Tue Mar 11 01:00:49 UTC 2014

On Mar 10, 2014, at 7:09 PM, Dan Lyke <danlyke at flutterby.com> wrote:

> I don't know whether I would dread or welcome someone asking me to look
> at a certain system that sat in a serial printer's cable and
> intercepted job orders to drop them into a Paradox database…

I remember that one: the one that DEC consultants and a lady with a Masters in CompSci
said was impossible…

Remember the “impossible” screen scraping robots you did for for ABB as well?

I don’t think it’s been used at the hospitals that used it in a LONG time.
Or at least, I pray that it is gone…

> One of the things that has struck me is that we have web application
> frameworks, and amazing database technologies, and none of them come
> together in a way that makes it as easy to build solutions as DBase
> and Paradox did. We've lost something there, and I'm not sure we've
> gained much.

This is where the Microsoft business application development universe still wins.
As much as I hate it, that’s the closest I have seen.

Want to build a Web-ish 3GL/4GL-ish application development framework on top of PostgreSQL or MySQL?

BTW: the early 1990’s Paradox HTEMMS system still lives in DOS emulation on Linux at least 1 hospital. I’ve been asked to rewrite it several times but they don’t want to pay real money for it.