[Chugalug] Old code never dies..

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Mon Mar 10 23:09:15 UTC 2014

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 14:07:46 +0000 (UTC)
Mike Harrison <cluon at geeklabs.com> wrote:
> pager company that was the dregs from another local pager company
> that somewhere in the late 1990's I wrote an SMTP mail server in Perl
> that gatewayed to alphanumeric pagers via the TAP protocol.. had a
> server issue.

I don't know whether I would dread or welcome someone asking me to look
at a certain system that sat in a serial printer's cable and
intercepted job orders to drop them into a Paradox database...

> It also reminded me, talking to the technical guys at the latest
> owners of this abortion... that few people understand the lowest
> levels of anything.. the "magic" that is a protocal like TAP
> (Telecommunicator/Telelocator Alphanumeric Protocol).
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telelocator_Alphanumeric_Protocol is a
> bare stub.  Much of what we do online is hidden far below layers and
> laters of abstraction, modules, libraries and MVC frameworks..

One of the things that has struck me is that we have web application
frameworks, and amazing database technologies, and none of them come
together in a way that makes it as easy to build solutions as DBase
and Paradox did. We've lost something there, and I'm not sure we've
gained much.

Dan