[Chugalug] chugalug ham net?

Bret McHone dbmchone at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 23:11:54 UTC 2014

Currently I think I would recommend the UV-5Re+. I have the GT-3 and my
first one had a faulty mic port that causes it to constantly transmit until
you torque the port a bit with a screwdriver to make it stop. I just got my
replacement today.

the replacement came with a different rubber ducky antenna than the
original I bought and it is terrible. From just west of Strawberry Plains I
could hit a repeater in Bean station on 2 Meter with the original ducky. I
couldn't even get the repeater to respond with the one that came on my

I built a nice J-Pole for about $25 that works VERY well.

I bought a patch cable and SMA Female to SO239 adapter and even with my
little HT I get perfect signal reports on repeaters 30-40 miles out.

As an alternative you can just find repeaters that support EchoLink and
just use them, though your session will timeout if you are just listening.