[Chugalug] Boot Linux from a diskette?

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Tue Mar 4 01:15:23 UTC 2014

On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 19:48:05 -0500
kitepilot at kitepilot.com wrote:
> I have to boot this OLD (running DOS!) box in Linux, no CDROM and no
> ambitions to change the hardware other than to install an ISA
> networks card (yes, ISA, I still have some of those...  :) )
> Possible?

And now is when you get to dive. Deep.

Of course it's possible. Boot loaders used to let you get the kernel
off of a floppy, and then swap to your root floppy and mash "enter" to
load the root filesystem.

I believe that I got a modern Linux down in the 700k range, and I'm
pretty sure you could get a stripped down BusyBox root under 1.44k.

Can you find an archive with ancient Linux on it, or do you need to do
it with a modern Linux?

And how much is it worth to you?

Dan