[Chugalug] Is LibreOffice *THAT* bad? :(

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 18:45:12 UTC 2013

Office is Microsoft's cash cow. It funds everything else they do to us. And
that won't change for several reasons:

1. Everyone uses it. It's the de facto standard.

2. It does considerably more than what any one user needs. Any two users
will need a divergent enough feature set that they can't both start using
something like LibreOffice. Any N users (i.e., a corporation) use N+1
feature sets and will never get off Office because there is no replacement.

3. Microsoft hasn't screwed up Office bad enough to give users a real
reason to try other things. The UI change to the "ribbon" was pretty
drastic but didn't really impact their user base.

Unfortunately, Office drives demand for Windows... and that sucks... I'd
recommend VirtualBox with Windows and Office installed.

-Eric