[Chugalug] Is LibreOffice *THAT* bad? :(

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Fri Sep 27 18:41:31 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Benjamin Stewart
<stewartbenjamin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Out of my own ignorance: Does this apply to both forks(Libre/Open)?

My two-years ago gig involved a lot of Microsoft .*x files, and I
almost broke down and bought a machine just to run Office. I can't
speak to the functionality of the spreadsheet, if I start to get
complex stuff I sling code, but I could totally imagine that importing
.xls or .xlsx files would lose important bits, and that saving and
re-importing those files would end up with spreadsheets that looked
nothing like what they started with.

always lead to tears (though the older formats were a hell of a lot
less bad than the new formats).

After years of thinking that there was a future for "Linux on the
desktop", I've come to two conclusions:

1. That works if you're only communicating with other Linux users. If
you can use native formats? Great. If you have to communicate with
Microsoft Office users? Don't bother.

2. Unless they're computers in your household, who cares? When most
consumers buy a computer off-the-shelf, they're paying the Microsoft
tax anyway already. Let the people who want to do that use Microsoft
and Apple. Linux rocks the living daylights out of the back-end stuff,
the embedded stuff, and the phone (Android and whatever else is
up-and-coming). Back in the day we used to say that if you have to
connect two IBM mainframes together, the easiest way to do that was to
put a DEC VAX in between them. Linux fills that same glue function
now.

Dan