[Chugalug] [OT] Need a small server

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 27 15:03:42 UTC 2013

Quoting Stephen Haywood <stephen at averagesecurityguy.info>:

> Dave,
>
>  I did forget to mention the use case. I need a small portable box
> that I can load up with virtual machines for a training class I'm
> doing. The Mac mini is ultra portable and has enough horse power to
> run a few VMs. I want a Quadcore with at least 8Gb of RAM and a
> small form factor.

Stephen, how about this:
http://www.amazon.com/HP-ProLiant-MicroServer-704941-001-Server/dp/tech-data/B00AKWUZ58/ref=de_a_smtd

Looks like it may be pretty bare-bones (i.e. you add the HDD and RAM)
but at this price point ($345) it's hard to beat. Add in a free server
O/S and you're good to go at under $500. :)