[Chugalug] [OT] "What does the H stand for" WAS:Passwords

Chad Smith chad78 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 17:39:38 UTC 2013

Not sure how serious you were being here - but the H. doesn't actually
stand for anything.

It stems from the misunderstanding that assumes "Christ" is Jesus' last
name.  It is not.  They didn't have last names in that time and culture.

Christ is actually a title - like King or Doctor or President or Sergeant.
 "Doctor" is not Dr. Huxtable's first name - it is Heathcliff.   President
is not Obama's first name.  Etc.

Christ means "Anointed one" and is the Greek equivalence of the Hebrew
"Messiah".

Jesus' name is just Jesus.  (Technically, it's Yeshua - or Joshua - it
means "YAHWEH [or Jehovah] is salvation".)  The reason our version of His
name is so far off is because it comes from a transliteration of a
translation (A Hebrew name, spelled out in Greek, then tried to letter
match into English by way of Latin, and English changed over the years.  If
you remember your Indiana Jones, there's no J in Latin.  The J came from a
fancy way of writing a capital I - I and Y sound very much alike....).
 Soooo... Yeshua because Jesus.

That all said, I am pretty sure I've seen "Henry" used more often than
anything when it the H. is spelled out.

*- Chad W. Smith*