[Chugalug] Open Source "personality flaw" (was Digest)

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Tue Sep 24 00:07:16 UTC 2013

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013, rdflowers wrote:
> Mailman mailing lists do list in their management option, a mail<> news
> gateway.
>
> Does this not work.

It probably does, I haven't run an NNTP server in almost 15 years.
After the last few subpeonas about who was posting what from where thanks
to the local law enforcement types, and looking at the traffic it was
sucking compared to the local users, we outsourced it to an NNTP news
service. So it would take an account on a NNTP service, or one of the free
ones.. and the you open the floodgates to a whole new world.
My only point is, NNTP kinda died to me many years ago. Hopefully the
moron-aol-idiot contingent is all happy on Facebook and Torrenting warez
and porn instead of using NNTP for it (which it sucks at).

http://www.eternal-september.org/  looks like free text only usenet
news...

http://www.eternal-september.org/do_groupsearch.php

looks like there are a lot of Linux-ish news groups still active.

Hmm..I remember TIN as a newsreader..
What's the best CLI NNTP client out there? We may have to explore.