[Chugalug] CHA Fiber (was EPB announcement)

David White dwrudy at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 09:47:34 UTC 2013

I woke up over 2 hours ago and haven't been able to go back to sleep. I
gave up a few minutes ago, after spending the last hour trying to sleep
while also having thoughts about the current state of fiber rings in
Chattanooga.

That said, I just found this interesting article from 2001 when Corker,
EPB, and Chattanooga first tapped into the fiber ring serving Oak Ridge:
http://fcw.com/articles/2001/11/04/chattanooga-taps-into-ngi.aspx?m=1

I'd wager that if Oak Ridge weren't around, we'd definitely not be where we
are today.

Anyway, I'm surprised to hear fiber from Knox to here isn't fully
developed. It seems to me there should be at least a few businesses that
would prefer to have a connection through Chattanooga to Atlanta than to
have to go through Nashville to get to Atlanta.

Of course we're talking about the speed of light so its probably a moot
point.

I do wonder though what dark fuber would cost from here to Knoxville. Seems
to me Knoxville would be more isolated than us in terms of fiber
connections to the rest of the country / world given our proximity to
Atlanta.