[Chugalug] this ain't kosher:LinkedIn Accused of Hacking Customers' E-Mails To Slurp Up Contacts

William Roush william.roush at roushtech.net
Sat Sep 21 17:04:20 UTC 2013

I'm really interested in the HOW here. I know LinkedIn can store your
e-mail credentials for this purpose, but that is something you do yourself.

There is some discussion of LinkedIn relying on exploits, that seems
like a lot of work for what is a crapshoot in being able to pull
contacts, especially when they have a system that even the more
technical-savvy on Slashdot were willing to use...

It helps having keypass, there is additional discussion that it's simply
UI confusion, and if you use the same password for both systems, you
think you're giving your password for LinkedIn (you always log in with
your e-mail address), when really it's asking access to your contact list.

 > "then used the information to access their external e-mail accounts
when they were left open,"

I'd like to know what they mean by that... cross-window, cross-domain
exploits? Aren't those nearly impossible on any modern browser?

William Roush