[Chugalug] EPB Gig-City Routers

Benjamin Stewart stewartbenjamin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 12:52:44 UTC 2013

I have no problem streaming Netflix across the house over 802.11G, so I
would consider N to be more than plenty for "normal" people, and an upgrade
for me!

I would wait on AC until it doesn't cost such a premium.

Even when I had "only" 30Mbps, I found pretty consistently that my (wired)
downloads were limited by the server's upload bandwidth rather than my
download bandwidth.

I'll let others chime in on favorite router choices. My strategy in the
past was to get the cheapest thing that would run DD-WRT or similar.

Hope this helps!

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 11:11 PM, Chad Smith <chad78 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know I'm far from the most tech saavy person on this list, but having
> googled FA311, it looks like that is just an Ethernet port.
>
> Maybe I wasn't clear in my question.  What I'm looking for are
> recommendations for an out-of-the-box wireless (and possibly wired as well,
> but focus on the wireless) router.
>

>    - Is any off-the-shelf WiFi-N router "good enough" for most people?
>    - Is 802.11ac worth the huge jump in cost (from $15~$25 for N to $90 -
>    $300 for AC)?
>    - Is the average non-geek even going to come close to 100 Mbit/s much
>    less 1 Gbit/s under any plausible circumstances?
>    - Any suggestions I can pass on to these Chattanooga-based EPB users?
>
> Thanks.
>
> *- Chad W. Smith*
>

> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Rod <rod-lists at epbfi.com> wrote:
>
>> **
>> Too bad on the wrt, because if they had an old pci machine they could
>> build a firewall box for a couple of bucks. (FA311's for $1.20 each)
>> Wouldn't do gig but would do low end 100mbps.
>>
>> You may laugh at that. But for less than $3 US I can quadruple my net
>> speed. That is a hell of a bargain at the moment.
>> Sometimes you have to be frugal.
>>

>> On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 19:34:05 -0400, Chad Smith <chad78 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've had a couple of non-lug Chattanooga friends already contact me about
>> the EPB announcement, and they are both asking about routers.
>>
>> As I understand it, there is no currently available WiFi standard that
>> supports 1 Gbit/s.  N goes up to 300 Mbit/s, and ac goes up to 500
>> Mbit/s....
>>
>> So, what routers do you all use/recommend?  (For the layperson, someone
>> who will never, ever, ever do anything with WRT or Tomato.)
>>
>> *- Chad W. Smith*
>>

>> --
>> Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

                              Benjamin Stewart