[Chugalug] EPB Gig-City Routers

Chad Smith chad78 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 03:11:25 UTC 2013

I know I'm far from the most tech saavy person on this list, but having
googled FA311, it looks like that is just an Ethernet port.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my question.  What I'm looking for are
recommendations for an out-of-the-box wireless (and possibly wired as well,
but focus on the wireless) router.

   - Is any off-the-shelf WiFi-N router "good enough" for most people?
   - Is 802.11ac worth the huge jump in cost (from $15~$25 for N to $90 -
   $300 for AC)?
   - Is the average non-geek even going to come close to 100 Mbit/s much
   less 1 Gbit/s under any plausible circumstances?
   - Any suggestions I can pass on to these Chattanooga-based EPB users?

Thanks.

*- Chad W. Smith*