[Chugalug] EPB announcement

Joe Freeman joe at netbyjoe.com
Tue Sep 17 21:54:36 UTC 2013

Information I gathered a couple of years ago when the company I was working
with at the time was making lots of proposals to lots of places for high
speed connectivity-

Because of geological topology, there are three main fiber paths through
Chattanooga. One of those (Knoxville) hasn't been fully developed last time
I looked at it, and the best route at the time between Knoxville and
Chattanooga was through Nashville. Obviously Nashville is one of the
remaining two, and the last one is ATL.

Norfolk Southern spun their fiber business out to a separate company quite
a while back, but last time I talked to them, they only had fiber south to
ATL, via Rome.

Allied Fiber was going to build new fiber between ATL - Chattanooga and
Knoxville a couple of years ago, but their website doesn't show anything
about Chattanooga at the moment.

Level3's primary pop is at 1601 Central, and they have connections from
there all over the place. CenturyLink (Qwest) actually has three pops here
- the CLEC pop on 16th, the Qwest pop on Slayton, and one on Rossville that
no one I know has ever been able to tell me what was in it.

Chattanooga has lots of fiber going north/south, but very little east/west.
The primary connection sites are in ATL (56 Marietta for example), and
Chicago via Nashville.

Joe