[Chugalug] EPB announcement

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Tue Sep 17 21:29:26 UTC 2013

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 16:40:55 -0400
"Daniel L. Appleget" <daniel at chattanoogacomputerservice.com> wrote:
> Let me test, what is anIP close to you I can Ping?

That was a joke (Dave got it). Chattanooga is 2459 miles away by road,
and that's a fairly straight set of roads. 2459 miles is 0.0132003884
light seconds, or 13.2 light milliseconds. Round trip would be 26.4
milliseconds.

So a ping time of 25 milliseconds would mean packets were exceeding the
speed of light.

But if'n ya wanna, sonic.net supplies fiber to Sebastopol and Palo Alto
and is working on a few other places (same basic price range, $40 for
100 megabit, $70 for gigabit, with phone and long distance and bla bla
bla), and is also my ISP (although I've just got an ADSL2+ connection).

So www.sonic.net is reasonable to test, and home.flutterby.net is
sitting under my desk in Petaluma. Though that's a ZTE 300 modem talking
to my home server, so that could add 50ms right there...

Dan