[Chugalug] Open Source at Chatt. Tech Council Tomorrow.

Andrew Pierce foomonkey at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 18:11:28 UTC 2013

Yes, I am a CHUGALUG guy. I got invited to be a part of this panel though
my association with noogaJS, our new JavaScript user group that has our
first meeting next Tuesday. And you are all invited to join that. Our web
site is http://noogajs.org.

I get the feeling from this mailing list there is a bit of ideology
mismatch between CHUGALUG and the CTC. I understand this and I'm fine with
it. In my opinion, the people on this list are pretty hardcore Linux, Open
Source, Hacker, Maker, and network guys. I know Mike H. has been doing
internet services since before a lot of people on the CTC even knew what
email was. And there are a lot of really smart folks on this list that I
know personally like ET.

The CTC is most definitely lacking in technical expertise. It is pretty
much (and this is a generalization) made up of a lot of business people
whose business happens to be IT. There are a lot of manager types in that
group and there are people who are just recruiters and don't really know
technology.

I worked at Unum for 14 years. In that time, I used all the corporate shit
that Microsoft and IBM sold us. I was a voice crying in the wilderness that
we could save a ton of money by implementing some open source software,
even if all we did was stand up some Linux-based file and print servers. I
was always shut down with the response that, "we have a corporate policy
against any open source software." Finally, in my last year there, I got
Linux blessed as a supported OS and now, they are in the process of
migrating all their AIX-based software over to Linux.

If you show up tomorrow, you won't hear anything earth shattering. Probably
nothing you don't already know. I think the goal of the meeting is to try
to help the manager types understand that they can indeed utilize open
source in the enterprise which is a very worthwhile discussion. They need
to realize that open source is not just for hackers, geeks, and startups.

And if you have any input for things I ought to bring up in my short time
on the panel, let me know. The meeting is scheduled for an hour so there
won't be anything in-depth on any topic.

David Tucker will also be there and he's worth meeting. He won a Webby
award this year for his creation of the iPad Table (
http://davidtucker.net/articles/ipad-table-intro/) . Super smart guy and
October speaker at noogaJS.