[Chugalug] Open Source "personality flaw" (was Digest)

Chad Smith chad78 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 14:36:42 UTC 2013

That is a very typical "open source" answer.  I am going to address the
tone and implications of the response - I am not suggesting we move to a
forum.

Tell the user all the ways they can "fix the problem" with "a little bit of
work on their end".  So (in the case of software) instead of a trained
coder taking a little bit of time up front to make the software easier to
use for everybody, they expect all the users (hundreds / thousands /
millions of them?) to take time to tweak it, over and over and over again.
 So instead of 5 man-hours to fix the problem once and for all, there's
hundreds/thousands/millions of man-hours used to tweak it every time it is
installed/used.

So, instead of making a forum, which admittedly would take one person a few
hours to set up, you expect dozens (hundreds?) of users to create a
dedicated email address that they would have to specifically check each
week?

And/or instead of the people who insist on using some idiotic "security"
measure on their (publicly searchable in plain text) Chugalug emails taking
the time to fix their own emails to not look like pages and pages of an
energetic cat attacking a keyboard for five minutes before hitting send -
you expect those who don't see the point of "signing" an email that's going
to be published on the web anyway to make special exceptions to how we view
the email?

That's so vain and self-centered.  "I want to sign my emails, and even
though I could do so in an unobnoxious way without hurting my security, you
should just have to deal with it - because NSA!"

First, the NSA could crack your little signature in a fraction of a second.

Secondly - as I've repeatedly stated already - CHUGALUG EMAILS ARE POSTED
ONLINE - YOU ARE NOT PROTECTING JACK SQUAT.

Now, as to the suggestion we move to a forum - I wouldn't have a problem
with that, in theory.

But I think we would lose a lot of our current members just because they
wouldn't make the transition (they didn't see that they needed to, they
kept meaning to sign up, but just keep putting it off, or they don't care
enough to sign up a second time, some might not like a forum, etc.).

--BEGIN BS SIGNATURE--

ksdfioewhf9WEf 9usdhf 89w4rt hw4t 7hw4 f9ub we87fg ewufn
diupsvbh789dsgfiusdbfiudsf eiuwdbfdsiufbhisdubneiuwrb9237gr8hweijtbfwu9e
huibhraewbhriucvhbdiuth vweiuh cfiuh 9832y cru9 98H *(GHAIU DHIUHI UAGWF
UAGEFIUEWBr78egw
fuihsdHAiouhAIBFHiouhiuhASFBIOUasFIUghUISADFuiAHGuhBDSFoiPSYBDFG89WEYtr234bfubuEBCE8UWBX*(AHBLH.ZXOIYB*(YBWE9F*Y
SA(*FB#(^!#@1hiufbIUAGBFDSGIUEFYB(*^EBSFtWEYRybEF(*_Yew

--END "I AM SO IMPORTANT YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT THIS CRAP IN EVERY EMAIL I
SEND" SIGNATURE-

<My iTunes started playing somehow as I typed that - and I don't even use
iTunes that much, so it wasn't opened.>

*- Chad W. Smith*