[Chugalug] iPads for Everyone

Matt Keys mk6032 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 15 14:55:24 UTC 2013

I used to work for a local BoE and had 3 schools I managed. Personally I
think this is a step in the right direction. 2 of the 3 schools I
managed had a really high percentage of low income households. Going to
school was just about the only exposure those kids had to technology.
This will open up a whole new world to them.

This may sound like a politically incorrect cliche, but I found lot of
those "at risk" kids had a general lack of respect for themselves, other
people, and other people's property. I think trusting the kids to use
the device freely may introduce a sense of personal responsibility to
those kids and perhaps their parents. The flip-side being it will be
really hard for those at risk families to face the consequences of
ignoring that responsibility. I would rather the problem be identified
and addressed at an early age rather than letting it go and the kid grow
up to be a nuisance to society.

I remember back then the state of GA was toying with the idea of
blanketing the entire state with WiMAX by installing a tower at each
college campus -- both technical colleges and 4 year universities. Maybe
this is also step in that direction?