[Chugalug] Am I Paranoid?

Dee Holtsclaw dee at deetour.me
Thu Sep 12 02:16:18 UTC 2013

On 09/11/2013 08:52 PM, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Wed September 11 2013 6:37:10 PM Dave Brockman wrote:
>> 4) If it were anything, I highly doubt it was the NSA.  The kernel
>> panic is indicative of someone who doesn't know WTF they are doing.
>>
> Dave... see item #4... this IS the NSA we're talking about... the Feds are NOT
> known for being "clueful."

http://dilbert.com/2013-09-11/

Placing deliberate back doors and weaknesses in our security software
makes it easier for someone else, besides them, to gain access. What if
a foreign government discovers (via study or espionage) one of these and
exploits it to damage our economy, military systems, etc.? Risking
everything in such a way is just mind-boggingly asinine.

Mike: The standard encryption envelope can contain a number of keys for
decryption. The content is encrypted using an on-the-fly random key
(usually large). This key is then encrypted for each supplied public key
and placed in the envelope. To decrypt, it selects the matching entry in
the envelope, decodes the content's key, and that's that. Not sure what
mail clients would make of it, but the encoding scheme covers it.
Incidentally, to do the stream cipher for the content, it uses the
random key as the seed for a PRNG and then XOR's each byte with the next
random number from the generator.