[Chugalug] Apple announces the new iPhone...its gold.

Chad Smith chad78 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 00:28:17 UTC 2013

Well I may have been misinformed on that one.  The last chart I had seen
was based on mobile web browser usage - not sales (since that is an
indicator of how many phones are actually currently being used - not just
sold at this moment) - and it had iOS browsers at around 34% of global
mobile traffic, and Android at closer to 30% - it wasn't a huge margin, but
it was still higher.  And - even if Android is outselling iOS *now* you are
still comparing one company's products (Apple's) to dozens of other
company's products (Motorola, Samsung, Sony, HTC, etc.).  That doesn't
negate that Android may currently have a larger market share - but the fact
that it's even a race says there is a market for it.

Let me put it this way - if Ford was selling 50% as many cars as - EVERY
OTHER CAR MAKER IN THE WORLD COMBINED - then they'd be doing pretty damn
good.  (If you want to include Windows Phone, BlackBerry, and Symbian, etc.
in the analogy - then say "as every other *non-racecar* car maker in the
world" or "Non-electric" or some other exclusion to remove 10% or less of
all cars on the market.)

*- Chad W. Smith*