[Chugalug] Apple announces the new iPhone...its gold.

Aaron welch n2nightfall at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 02:35:38 UTC 2013

So to chime in here after reading the tech specs:

Why is there a M7 co-processor?  To offload motion and positional functions
from the main A7 CPU to conserve power.  The M7 supposedly uses 1/10 (no
real facts to back that up yet) the power of the A7.

64-bit memory space update is also related to graphics functions as higher
I/O rates boost performance.

I would use the sh!t out of the finger print scanner to keep from typing my
16-digit Apple ID password or as a 2-factor for a password store on my
phone.

The additional camera features are a big deal to me as I Facetime my girls
from all over the country and the light sensor would help them be able to
see me wherever I am.

Lastly, the LTE enhancements are LONG overdue.  I get better data rates out
of 4G using my AT&T iPhone 5.

Just my 2 cents, digest as you see fit.

-AW

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 10:20 PM, Chad Smith <chad78 at gmail.com> wrote:

> *- Chad W. Smith*
>

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Lynn Dixon <boodaddy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Chad,
>> I am going to disagree.  The fingerprint scanner has been on mobile
>> phones for a while now, so its nothing new.  The Motorola Atrix had one
>> that worked pretty good.  To me, they are kinda useless, and seems gimmicky.
>>
>> 64 bit is "meh" for me right now.  it will be a few years before
>> developers take hold of it, and by then something better will be out
>> anyways.  This won't pull me away from Android.
>>

> Epic Games said it took them less than 2 hours to change their 32 bit game
> to a 64 bit one.
>

>>  Why does the compass, gyroscope and acceleromoter need a separate
>> deidcated processor?  My 2 year old Nexus handles all of them great right
>> now, without a dedicated processor.
>>

> Why do graphics need their own dedicated processor?
>
> Seriously, I can't believe this is even a question.  If you have a
> dedicated processor handling that stuff, then your main CPU can deal with
> what it has to deal with.  If you can't appreciate that, just think of it
> as adding another core.
>

>> As for your "faster CPU" and "desktop level apps" comment, I honestly
>>  don't use my phone as my desktop.  Until someone does true device
>> convergance well, I will never use my phone as my desktop, regardless  of
>> how much horsepower it has.  I need at least dual screen, high resolution
>> support, with full keyboard and mouse connectivity.  It also needs to do
>> USB devices (Think storage) well.
>>

> Oh well, I guess since *you* don't use your phone like a computer, then
> the whole concept should be scrapped, because obviously if you aren't using
> it that way then no one else is, no should they, no could they ever.
>
> I don't use Instagram, so it shouldn't exist.  I don't use Debian, or VIM,
> so those shouldn't exist either.
>
> There are people who use their phones as remote workstations, creating and
> controlling content from the palm their hand.  I don't have an iPhone - or
> even a smartphone, but I do have an Android tablet (several, actually, but
> I only really use one) and an iPod Touch.  I've used both to do some pretty
> work-related type computery stuff.
>
> Regardless of whether you personally use your phone to do anything other
> than make phone calls - there are millions of people who use them for
> things that need processing power.  And, scoff if you will, playing games
> is one of them.  Mobile gaming a billion dollar industry - and has been for
> at least 5 years.
> http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20684
>
> Games drive growth in computing power - they did for the desktop (and
> still do, so I'm lead to believe) and they are for phones.
>

>> I was really hoping the Ubuntu Phone would have become a reality.  That
>> is true innovation.  To me, this new iPhone is indeed a speedbump of
>> improvement.

> [...]

Aaron Welch
Chief Mechanic @ Geek Ventures
423-505-9999