[Chugalug] Apple announces the new iPhone...its gold.

Dee Holtsclaw dee at deetour.me
Wed Sep 11 00:35:05 UTC 2013

On 09/10/2013 04:55 PM, Dan Lyke wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 16:33:16 -0400
> Lynn Dixon <boodaddy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 64 bit is "meh" for me right now.  it will be a few years before
>> developers take hold of it, and by then something better will be out
>> anyways.  This won't pull me away from Android.
> So the other thing you can get with a wider memory bus... SIMD. There
> may be some new compositing stuff going on, image processing related to
> the OpenGL-ES improvements, perhaps?
We're starting to build in 64-bit mode to have more heap space available
(our effective limit is a little over 2G for 32bit). The downside is
that all pointers also double in size and the executable gets a lot
larger. Which causes an even larger memory footprint ... sad to say, we
have a couple of dev machines thrashing because there's on average
around 150G in swap after we fill up the 256G of DRAM. Sure, having a
64-bit processor is cool, but not so sure they should blindly build
64-bit processes "just 'cause".