[Chugalug] Apple announces the new iPhone...its gold.

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Tue Sep 10 20:55:56 UTC 2013

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 16:33:16 -0400
Lynn Dixon <boodaddy at gmail.com> wrote:
> 64 bit is "meh" for me right now.  it will be a few years before
> developers take hold of it, and by then something better will be out
> anyways.  This won't pull me away from Android.

So the other thing you can get with a wider memory bus... SIMD. There
may be some new compositing stuff going on, image processing related to
the OpenGL-ES improvements, perhaps?

> Why does the compass, gyroscope and acceleromoter need a separate
> deidcated processor?  My 2 year old Nexus handles all of them great
> right now, without a dedicated processor.

I don't know what the API is for those things, but the reason I've used
separate processors in the past: Real-time means different things to
different people. If you're trying to do integration based on gyro and
accelerometer data (ie: local positioning), error accumulates super
fast...

Dan