[Chugalug] Apple announces the new iPhone...its gold.

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Tue Sep 10 20:10:45 UTC 2013

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 15:14:32 -0400
Lynn Dixon <boodaddy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure, a 64 bit processor in a phone is cool to say, but how really
> useful is it?  I am not a programmer so this is an honest question.
> I just don't see a need for 64 bit on  a mobile device...right now.

But it's got electrolytes. It's what plants crave!

I like the 2038 hypothesis (although the snarker in me wants to say
"yeah, right, an i* product lasting more than 2 years?"), but...

I suspect that the reasons they'd consider (worst-case) doubling the
memory bandwidth and memory consumption of apps is that they're laying
the groundwork for the future. The next phone probably will have more
than 2 or 4 gig of RAM, and getting the app migration worked out now
will make things smoother two or three product generations from now
when they decide to drop 32 bit compatibility.

Dan