[Chugalug] OpenSource Meeting Next Week

David White dwrudy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 19:50:30 UTC 2013

> What would it take to be relevant?
> The community needs something like it to work.  Can it be fixed?

First off, you're right. I agree that something *like* the CTC is good.
They aren't all bad, and I think they're doing good stuff. That said, I
have found that they are mostly focused on the Educational industry and
gear their conference and monthly luncheons towards that demographic.

I think that's all fine and good, but its not the type of demographic most
of us on Chugalug find a lot of value in, in terms of our own business
networking.

Even if they didn't change any of their programs or conferences, I *would* like
to see a better emphasis on supporting the local IT community and a better
embracing of IT best practices (for example, the website fiasco from
earlier this year, the Facebook / Twitter stream, etc...). Obviously these
are minor annoyances, but small things like that really do reflect poorly
on the organization named "Technology Council."

They're doing good work, but I see a lot of evidence that the leadership
lacks technology skills. In an educational setting, this isn't all that
surprising, as that is often times the case.

But again, I think it reflects poorly on the organization.

Those are my thoughts. Note that I haven't actually provided this as
feedback to them, and I really don't want to come across as snarky. They're
doing good work - it's just not in the demographic I'm interested in paying
$200/year to be a part of, especially if they continue to make poor IT
implementation decisions.

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Rod <rod-lists at epbfi.com> wrote:

> **
> What would it take to be relevant?
> The community needs something like it to work.  Can it be fixed?
>
> On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 14:45:55 -0400, Aaron welch <n2nightfall at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> The CTC has long since lost relevance to me.
>
> -AW
>

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 2:28 PM, David White <dwrudy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm going, but only because I'm already a member of CTC and already paid
>> my annual due at the beginning of the year. I'm not renewing my membership
>> next year.
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Stephen Haywood <
>> stephen at averagesecurityguy.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Is this Chattanooga Technology Council meeting next week going to be
>>> worth the $20 I have pay to attend?
>>> --
>>> Stephen Haywood
>>> Owner, ASG Consulting
>>> CISSP, GSEC, OSCP
>>> 423.305.3700
>>> stephen at averagesecurityguy.info

>> --
>> David White
>> Founder & CEO
>> *
>> *
>> *Develop CENTS *
>> Computing, Equipping, Networking, Training & Supporting
>> Nonprofit Organizations Worldwide
>> http://developcents.com
>> 423-693-4234

> Aaron Welch
> Chief Mechanic @ Geek Ventures
> 423-505-9999
> n2nightfall at gmail.com
> "Enabling people to do great things with their own ideas."

David White
Founder & CEO
*
*