[Chugalug] OT: does chromecast force use of google public dns?

Matt Keys mk6032 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 10 19:43:10 UTC 2013


I figured this out. I have dual wan in pf and both had google dns set in 
dns listings so it was causing routing issues. It was pretty obvious 
once I looked at the routes. Once I removed them from the dns lists and 
pointed each wan interface to their respective isp dns servers only it 
cleared up the google dns queries and chromecast now casts 
netflix/youtube without issue.

On 09/09/2013 11:50 AM, Matt Keys wrote:
> I use pfsense as my router/gateway and separate WAP attached as a 
> bridge. There's no multicast filtering there or any filtering really 
> -- it's just a dumb pass everything wireless bridge. I assigned a dhcp 
> static ip mapping for my new chromecast device and created a firewall 
> rule in pf to allow all traffic but to also log it. The dhcp server is 
> set to dish out primary dns 192.168.1.1, secondary 8.8.8.8, third 
> 8.8.4.4. I then power up the chromecast and attempt to hitch it to the 
> wireless. Chromecast then states that it connected successfully but 
> cannot reach the internet. Packet capture shows that it does not hit 
> 192.168.1.1 at all for dns query to "client3.google.com" and others 
> such as ntp.pool.org. It *always* goes to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Sampled 
> capture at http://www.mattkeys.net/google/chromecast.cap. Interesting 
> that if I nslookup client3.google.com against 192.168.1.1 I get good 
> results, but if I nslookup against googles own 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 I 
> get timeout responses.
>
> matt at pud64:~$ nslookup
> > server 192.168.1.1
> Default server: 192.168.1.1
> Address: 192.168.1.1#53
> > clients3.google.com
> Server:        192.168.1.1
> Address:    192.168.1.1#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> clients3.google.com    canonical name = clients.l.google.com.
> Name:    clients.l.google.com
> Address: 74.125.137.101
> Name:    clients.l.google.com
> Address: 74.125.137.102
> Name:    clients.l.google.com
> Address: 74.125.137.139
> Name:    clients.l.google.com
> Address: 74.125.137.113
> Name:    clients.l.google.com
> Address: 74.125.137.138
> Name:    clients.l.google.com
> Address: 74.125.137.100
> > server 8.8.8.8
> Default server: 8.8.8.8
> Address: 8.8.8.8#53
> > clients3.google.com
> ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
> > server 8.8.4.4
> Default server: 8.8.4.4
> Address: 8.8.4.4#53
> > clients3.google.com
> ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
> > exit
>
> I've got a product support email out to Google about it.
>



More information about the Chugalug mailing list