[Chugalug] Linux on Toshiba S75

Andrew Pierce foomonkey at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 22:22:54 UTC 2013

I bought a Toshiba Satellite S75 today at Costco. Quad-core Intel i7, 16 GB
RAM and 1TB HDD. It came preloaded with Windows 8. I intended to wipe that
crap off and install Linux. I can't believe how terrible Windows 8 is.
Seriously.

So, first off, I needed to update the BIOS to boot from a CD instead of the
HD. I've done this like 10 bajillion time so I know what I'm doing, right?
Ummm... usually there's like "Press F2 for Setup" thing but not on this
one. And nothing in the manual about it. Oh wait, what manual? FINALLY, I
figured out that part and was booting from a CD. Or so I thought.

Turns out, they have a new "Safe Boot" thing where you can't boot from a CD
or USB drive unless you turn all that off in the BIOS. I found a YouTube
video that explained how to do that. Great, safe boot is off and I'm setup
to boot from the CD.

Boot up and get the Live CD or Install menu. Selected Live CD just to check
things out and after a few seconds, the screen goes black and the laptop
doesn't respond. Grrrrr.

I'm going to return this machine and go for something that isn't trying to
protect me from myself too much. Any recommendations? Dell's have pretty
much always just worked for me. This is my first experience with Toshiba
and I'm not happy.