[Chugalug] ButterFly ASIC Single arrived -- My review

James Nylen jnylen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 14:47:30 UTC 2013

No dice.  It's an ASIC, which as I understand it, means hardware dedicated
to performing a single algorithm for a specific application.

In the case of Bitcoin, that means searching through some space of values
until you find one whose SHA-256 has the required number of leading zero
bits.  I'm not sure how much of this algorithm is actually hard-coded into
the chips - you *might* be able to use them to compute a bunch of SHA-256
hashes for other purposes, but that would be all.