[Chugalug] Bitcoins: It's all about cash, that is, the real stuff

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Wed Sep 4 12:31:49 UTC 2013

On Sep 4, 2013, at 12:41 AM, Eric Wolf <ebwolf at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mike R.,
>
> I hope repeating what I said helps you feel better about yourself, knowing that you getting suckered like us. You could make the same argument about being conned by Nintendo for their fancy computers and expensive software that just waste time.

I have a real interest in BitCoin, I just don't have time for another hobby. It might be one that can be short-term profitable, possibly even long term useful. and I have respect and admiration for the issues it is generating and addressing publicly. But I don't, as yet, have a use for it.

In some ways, it;s like Beanie Babies for geeks. Some people will make some serious scratch off of it, and some, like my beloved mother-in-law, will have a cabinet full of little furry animals. Or in this case, some exotic computing hardware. If they have fun doing it, enjoy the process, the learning, the mind-numbung concepts involved, I think it's the greatest thing in the world. I think it's the first major break in an evolution that needs to happen eventually to "money".

http://chugalug.org/widget/category/BitCoin

and

http://chugalug.org/widget/keyword/BitCoin

It now has it's own topic/keyword on the Chugalug list…

For comparison:
I just blew a bunch of cash making an RC (linux powered robot later?) lawn mower.. it makes more sense to pay a guy $50 to mow my little lawn…
But building this has been a blast, cut out motor mounts last night, the motor controller should show up today…   but at least I'll be able to mow the lawn with it. Practical: Hardly. Useful. Yes. Fun and Interesting: Yes.

I toss BitCoin in the same category for now.

If I had gotten in when Daniel Applegate first opened my eyes to it… I'd probably be raving about it.