[Chugalug] Oops Google leaks new Nexus...

Jon Stanford jbirdvegas at aokp.co
Wed Sep 4 01:34:32 UTC 2013

This has been all over the internet today but I thought I would share anyways.  Google released a teaser for the next Android version (4.4) dubbed "KitKat" (yes after the candybar).  The teaser was supposed to show the new AndroidKitKat statue being setup on the Google campus... which it did but no one cared about that because in the HD video you can clearly make out Googlers filming the event on devices emblazoned with Nexus horizontally on the back.  Seems this was a mistake because about 2 hours after the video was released Google pulled it from youtube.

You can't make a ton of details out but we now know its an LG device, maybe a little bigger than the current Nexus 4 and seems to have a rubberized back.

I'm not sure what the deal with KitKat is all about but both companies are playing it up KitKat see {@link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKOrkLxOBoY} and Google see {@link http://www.android.com/kitkat/}.

Because as we all know the internet never forgets (even if the great Google wishes it would) here is the teaser {@link http://www.mediafire.com/watch/ga561wpc3i6b2sa/Unveiling_of_the_Android_KitKat_statue.mp4#} and here is a enhanced screenshot of the new device, about 39 seconds into the video (new Nexus on the left, current Nexus on the right) {@link http://i.imgur.com/AzD7mOP.jpg}.

I wouldn't put it past them to put this up as a highly elaborate troll but...
1) They pulled the video within hours (something they have never previously did for their teasers).
2) The devices found in the video have vendor stickers on them.
3) None of the previous devices in the Nexus line have the "Nexus" stamp horizontally placed.
4) You may notice 3 separate Googlers with the new device... Thats a lot of development costs just for a joke.
5) Video was announced around 11am EST and was pulled just after 3pm EST (my times may be off thats just when I noticed the events)

Anyways the AOKP guys and I got a good kick out of this so I thought I would share. Guess I just found my next phone.