[Chugalug] Being careful with devices with memory chips

John Aldrich mrmaxx at spamcop.net
Wed Sep 4 01:30:36 UTC 2013

On Tue September 3 2013 8:49:10 PM Mike Harrison wrote:
> Not exactly a direct answer to an off-topic question:
>
> I've been told that devices with memory chips can be destroyed by Microwave
> ovens.. HERF (got a 5watt plus CD Radio?), high voltage like a TV flyback
> transformer or from a spark plug wire, being near or part of a plasma torch
> or arc welder circuit..  In fact, while using my plasma torch tonight, I
> put my cell phone on the hood of the car about 30 feet away. Cats and
> balloons making static electricity can be fun, and dangerous for your
> electronics.
>
> You want to be real careful with mobile phones, tablets, SD cards and USB
> drives that you don't do any of those things, it'll erase them or fry them
> without a trace to let you know what happened.  Even the NSA would have to
> grind down the chip and attempt to read the last state with an electron
> microscope or something else even weirder.
>
> So be careful out there: iOS, Linux and Winders portable devices are still
> subject to e-brain implosions if handled improperly.

I was just thinking that cutting the transformer out of the circuit between
the phone and the wall would do some really nasty things to a cell phone. I
mean 120 VAC directly to a DC-powered cell phone??? I shudder to think what
the insides would look like after about 5 seconds, if the circuit breaker
didn't trip first.