[Chugalug] ButterFly ASIC Single arrived -- My review

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 19:51:28 UTC 2013

Dan,

In a nutshell, you are correct. The economics of mining doesn't make sense.
But that's the fundamental lesson of economics over the past couple
decades. People don't behave rationally. I like the little USB miners
because they make blinky lights and appear to generate something of value.
It's a hobby.

Last year, if you could leverage cheaper electricity with the ability to
run lots of high end video cards, you could have an edge. I started down
this route but was working form home and didn't want the fan noise in my
environment. That was a mistake because it caused me to miss the bubble
when the first generation  ASICs hit. I also cashed in my BTC at $7 because
I didn't believe there would be a bubble (even though someone on the list,
I forget who, accurately predicted it).

Now, mining has largely become a matter of getting your hands on the newest
miners early enough to generate a profit (barring another bubble). There
are very few technical barriers to mining other than cash. Right now, that
requires a minimum $5K investment and may not deliver returns any time soon
(if at all). That is, barring another bubble.

I probably should sell my USB miners and buy some Raspberry PIs and
Arduinos. But that'd make too much sense!

-Eric