[Chugalug] ButterFly ASIC Single arrived -- My review

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Tue Sep 3 18:36:48 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Lynn Dixon <boodaddy at gmail.com> wrote:
> The supply of bitcoins is controlled by the network to maintain 6 blocks
> per hour.

I think I understand blocks vs coins differently. The block supply is
moderated by the network to handle latency issues, so that processors
aren't working on the same problem over and over again, but the coin
supply is moderated by mathematics.

When block latency is adjusted, what's being changed is how much
computation information is transmitted in a block, not how many hashes
per hour the machines are evaluating.

ie: Hook a gazillion machines up suddenly and even though your
blocks-per-hour rate gets adjusted down, the number of hashes
evaluated goes way way up.

Of course having those gazillion machines then becomes a liability,
because if the block rate is limited to 6 per hour, there's a much
higher chance you're repeating calculations done by other machines...

Dan