[Chugalug] "Code for America" $420,000 USD

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Tue Sep 3 16:35:35 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Rod <rod-lists at epbfi.com> wrote:
> Some valid points Mike. There is surprising cell penetration in the
> homeless. Actually not when you consider a family that was middle
> class goes homeless they don't lose all their stuff.

I've noticed among the near-homeless/extremely poor people I've had
contact with, a working phone is one solid contact point. Physical
(mail) addresses aren't fixed, but a cell phone provides continuity in
a life that's otherwise extremely fluid.

But as Mike points out, I've seen two problems with the "hack your
city" sorts of apps out there:

1. The difficulty usually isn't the interface, it's in the data
acquisition and curation. A web page is probably a better idea than an
app for data like this, but coordinating that data is the real ongoing
cost.

2. If you go look at the much vaunted showcase apps, they usually have
a pretty minimal number of downloads and reviews, suggesting that they
don't have much uptake. The propaganda is cool, the ideas are
invigorating, but in practice we really don't need an app for
real-time maintenance schedule updates for San Francisco's parks (to
only mildly satirize one app I was pointed to as a success).