[Chugalug] ButterFly ASIC Single arrived -- My review

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 02:28:43 UTC 2013

I have 24 of the USB ASICminers running for the past couple weeks.
Unfortunately, I paid a lot more than the current $35/each (about double
that). Here's my current stats on the Eligius pool:

http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/19sEUv2owYEKGNgdAyB3Az9FLYZPf8bhm1

In addition to the USB miners, you also need decent, powered USB hubs.
These things are very sensitive to the quality of the hubs. I tried a few
different ones and ended up using the "standard" Anker 9-port USB3 hubs.
You also really need to build usblib and cgminer locally. But once you get
it stable, it just runs. About every other day, I get a core dump on
CGMiner and have to restart. As you can see from the stats, I don't always
notice and restart in a timely manner. The great thing about the USB miners
is the low cost of entry.

-Eric