[Chugalug] ButterFly ASIC Single arrived -- My review

Lynn Dixon boodaddy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 02:08:11 UTC 2013

Phil,
I have been kicking around the idea of picking some of these up.  My BTC
hardware budget has been spent on Monarchs, but I am still seriously
considering getting a few of these things.

Several of the fab companies in China have gotten ahold of the few ASIC
designs out there (since China doesnt care about patents and copyrights),
and they have been making these little miners for several months now.  I
know some folks that have a few dozen of them, and are quite happy with
them. With these suckers on the market performing the same as a 7950 and
7970 GPU on fractions of the power, and fractions of the cost, they are
definately worth the money to buy.  Especially since they are in good
supply now.
The only negative I have heard about them is that most of them are passive
cooling, and they can get a bit warm.  So long as you have them mining in a
well ventilated area, you should be alright.  Most of the folks I know
running them wanted to pack them close together for density, but they dont
cool well enough for that.  They need several inches of clearance for good
airflow to keep cool.

They have almost negiblible power consumption, so that will substantially
reduce your variable costs. When you go building a rig with these things,
you have to keep in mind you will need USB powered hubs, since most USB
busses cant handle more than a few.

In my opinion, if you are wanting to get into mining, right now, those
things are a great way to go.  You can manage your total initial investment
better, since they are lower cost, and you can get them shipped
immediately. Their low power will help you see returns on them for a good
while.

Hope that helps!