[Chugalug] ButterFly ASIC Single arrived -- My review

Lynn Dixon boodaddy at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 17:59:34 UTC 2013

For those interested in Bitcoin on the lug, I have finally received my
first Butterfly Labs Single.

Here's a quick review:
Well packaged during shipping, and was shipped USPS 2-day priorty mail with
signature required.

The build quality is fantastic.  Really nice brushed aluminum black case
that has rounded edges and corners, and a nice laster etched Butterfly Labs
logo.  The power supply brick was about 1.5 times larger than your typical
Xbox 360 power brick for comparison.  The power brick has a built in
cooling fan which I thought was pretty slick. The ASIC miner uses PCI-e
power connectors and the power brick is outfitted with PCI-e plugs as well.
 Overall its a very well designed and well built piece of hardware.  I am
really happy with it.

Now, the good part. How well does it run?  In a nutshell...like a dream.
 It has been a little over 24 hours, and it has already generated me just
over .5 BTC (about $70). It has some really powerful fans that are a bit
louder than I had hoped, but I honestly can't hear it in my datacloset.  I
used BFL's EasyMiner for the first 24 hours just to get the full
experience.  I am planning on swithching over to CGMiner in afew days.

Here is a screenshot of Easyminer, and the performance:
http://i.imgur.com/smdFgjD.jpg

Another screen snippet of the asic running compared to one of my GPU's on
EclipseMC mining pool:  http://i.imgur.com/5ozLrQa.jpg

EasyMiner has a cool "earnings" section that pulls the latest difficulty
and latest exchange rates to give you an idea of your scheduled earnings.
 Right now, its looking like this 60GH/s rig should return about $2000 per
month. This is pertty consistent with all of the other ROI calculators I
have used.

Financial analysis:
At the current difficulty and exchanges, this rig should generate about .45
- .5 BTC per day, which is about $65 - $70 average per day.  Most
calculators I have used puts monthly revenue at around $1800 - $2000 per
month.
Here is my numbers plugged into TheGenesisBlock's calculator:
http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/a/5f1c18143a

I purchased my 60 GH/s unit for about $1375 back in June of last year, and
I am figuring about a 3 to 5 week payoff period, and calculating a 75%
increase in difficulty per month in my ROI estimation.

This thing was well worth the wait. Butterfly labs may be horrible at
meeting deadlines, but they are really good at designing a product. This
thing runs great, looks awesome, and is generating an impresive ROI.  After
mining with it for a full day, I have already placed my pre-order for some
Monarchs:
https://products.butterflylabs.com/homepage-new-products/600-gh-bitcoin-mining-card.html

Feel free to discuss, but please, lets keep this BTC thread civil and on
topic :-)