[Chugalug] MySQL Tuning... With Oracle/Java MySQL Enterprise Monitor

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Mon Oct 28 01:42:28 UTC 2013

Ed and other heavy MySQL/Maria users..

Dispite that it installs Java, and therefor I probably won't run it all
the time... (added some server load as well as just being Java) I've been
playing with the Oracle MySQL Enterprise Monitor (and the Agents you
install on each SQL server) and learned some things about MySQL tuning
from it, it actually has some very informative helpful information in it.
More useful instructions that the MySQL Website (which is pretty good).

and then install the monitoring server on a seperate system, The Agents
connect back to the server. They even use SSL connections, you should
be able to run the monitor in your office for systems in colo with some
firewall rules. It recognized the multi-master slave configs and even a
second MySQL instance (on strange ports) running on the servers.
It gives advice about user perms/security configs as well as table cache
and settings for InnoDB writes and such.. Including when doing something
for a performance increase breaks ACID compliance. While it installs and
uses MySQL 5.6 and Java, the Agents will work with 5.1 and above,
in my case right now it's looking at two 5.1 servers on Redhat, a 5.5
server on Ubuntu and three 5.6 servers on Redhat.. across 4 systems on two
physically separated networks. If you are careful, setting up multiple
MySQL instances is not that hard..

Worth playing with, and going through the Oracle signup process to get a
copy to evaluate. Of course.. They'd like you to pay for it for production
long term use, and I'd have to say it could save you enough headaches it
would be worth it.

And it has awesome pretty dashboard/charts for the pointy haired types..
as well as useful screen candy for DBA/SysAdmin types.